- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 slices Buffalo bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 good looking leeks, slice white parts & pale green parts thin
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound pappardelle or fettuccine
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan or Grana Padano
FIRST | Heat oil and butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 5 - 8 minutes.
NEXT | Add leeks and season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until leeks begin to brown, 5 - 8 minutes. Add cream, thyme, and 1/2 cup water.
NOW | Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and can coat the back of a spoon, 5 - 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 2 cups pasta cooking liquid.
FINALLY | Add pasta, Parmesan, and 1 cup pasta cooking liquid to sauce and stir to coat. Increase heat to medium and continue stirring, adding more cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta.